The programme of pilot projects on adaptation to climate change in transboundary basins under the UNECE Convention on the Protection and Use of Transboundary Watercourses and International Lakes (Water Convention) has started in 2010 and aims to:
- Support countries and specifically countries with economies in transition (in Eastern Europe, Caucasus and Central Asia as well as in South-Eastern Europe) in their efforts to develop adaptation strategies and measures; in transboundary basins
- Assist UNECE countries in implementing the Water Convention and the European Union (EU) Water Framework Directive (WFD) under conditions of a changing climate, also in light of the EU White Paper on adapting to climate change1;
- Create positive examples demonstrating the benefits of and possible mechanisms for transboundary cooperation in adaptation planning and implementation, also beyond the UNECE region;
- Implement the Guidance on Water and Adaptation to Climate Change;
- Provide a forum for exchange of experience, good practices and lessons learnt regarding adaptation projects in different parts of the region.
The pilot projects mainly focus on developing adaptation strategies which lay the ground for further action and only to a very limited extent, on the funding and implementation of the relevant measures. Depending on the local needs and other existing projects the pilot projects focus on different expected impacts of climate change and climate variability such as increased floods, water scarcity or droughts.
Exchange of experience between the pilot projects is ensured through a platform for this purpose which includes regular meetings as well as a web-based platform.
News And Events
Consultations and seventh meeting of Dniestr project, Chisinau, 9-10 July 2013
Fourth Workshop on Adaptation to Climate Change in Transboundary Basins (Geneva, 25–26 June 2013)
Final workshop on Flood Risk Management planning and Climate Change assessment in the Sava River Basin, Zagreb, 5-6 June 2013.
Workshop on Flood Communication in the Dniester River Basin May 27-28, 2013 Lviv, Ukraine
Workshop on climate change adaptation in the Neman river basin. Vilnius, Lithuania, 16 May 2013
Workshop and expert meetingRiver basin management and climate change adaptation in the Neman river basin. Minsk, Republic of Belarus, 19 March 2013
First meeting of the global network of basins working on adaptation to climate change and third meeting of the core group of pilot projects (Geneva, 20 - 21 February 2013)