Promoting Cooperation to Adapt to Climate Change in the Chu and Talas Transboundary Basin
The project aims to improve the adaptive capacity of Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan, to support dialogue and cooperation on the needed steps to design an adaptation strategy in the transboundary context and thereby prevent controversy on the use of water resources.
The specific objectives of the project are:
- Modelling of the possible changes in water resources of the Chu-Talas basin associated with climate conditions and elaboration of joint scenarios,
- Preparation of joint vulnerability assessment, focusing on selected areas/sectors of importance for the work of the Commission,
- Development of a package of possible adaptation measures and relevant procedures for the Commission, which may contribute to decreasing potential tensions over changing hydrological regimes. Such procedures and measures will be built into the regular Commission’s operations and policies, where appropriate.
- Facilitating organizations: UNDP (Ms. Natalia Alexeeva, Mr. Amirkhan Kenshimov and Ryspek Apasov), UNECE (Ms. Sonja Koeppel, Mr. Bo Libert and Ms. Francesca Bernardini) and OSCE.
- Kazakhstan: Committee of Water Resources, Ministry of Agriculture
- Kyrgyzstan: State Committee of Water Resources and Melioration Secretariat of the Chu-Talas Commission
Project duration: 3 years, Start: Jan 2010, End: Dec 2012
News And Events
Consultations and seventh meeting of Dniestr project, Chisinau, 9-10 July 2013
Fourth Workshop on Adaptation to Climate Change in Transboundary Basins (Geneva, 25–26 June 2013)
Final workshop on Flood Risk Management planning and Climate Change assessment in the Sava River Basin, Zagreb, 5-6 June 2013.
Workshop on Flood Communication in the Dniester River Basin May 27-28, 2013 Lviv, Ukraine
Workshop on climate change adaptation in the Neman river basin. Vilnius, Lithuania, 16 May 2013
Workshop and expert meetingRiver basin management and climate change adaptation in the Neman river basin. Minsk, Republic of Belarus, 19 March 2013
First meeting of the global network of basins working on adaptation to climate change and third meeting of the core group of pilot projects (Geneva, 20 - 21 February 2013)